Do you need a good nickname to call someone named Eleanor?
When it comes to choosing nicknames, care must be taken that the selected nicknames are a perfect match for whomever they are meant for.
Here are a few great nicknames for anyone named Eleanor, but let’s talk a little about the name itself before moving on.
The name Eleanor is a feminine name with North American origins. From the Provençal name Aliénor, Eleanor became popular among women of high nobility in Western Europe during the High Middle Ages.
The name has risen to popularity in modern times, regularly ranking among the 50 most popular names for girls in the United States.
Table of Contents
Famous People Named Eleanor
One way to get a nickname for anyone is to consider famous people bearing the same name. This gives you an idea of how this nickname can be used and what nicknames can be gotten from it. Here are some famous people named Eleanor to help you find the perfect nickname for your Eleanor:
- Eleanor Roosevelt ‒ (1884 – 1962), American First Lady from 1933-1945, born Anna Eleanor
- Eleanor of Aquitaine ‒ (ca. 1122 -1204), wife of Louis VII of France and Henry II of England, mother of Richard I and King John
- Eleanor of England ‒ Queen of Castile (1161 – 1214), daughter of Henry II of England and Eleanor of Aquitaine; wife of Alfonso VIII of Castile.
- Eleanor F. Helin ‒ American astronomer.
- Eleanor, Fair Maid of Brittany ‒ Daughter of Geoffrey, Duke of Brittany.
- Eleanor of Castile ‒ (1202 – 1244), wife of James I of Aragon
- Eleanor of England ‒ Countess of Leicester (1215 – 1275), daughter of King John of England, wife of Simon de Montfort, 6th Earl of Leicester
- Eleanor of Provence ‒ (1222 – 1291), wife of Henry III of England, mother of Edward I
- Eleanor of Castile ‒ (1241 – 1290), wife of Edward I of England, mother of Edward II
- Eleanor of Anjou ‒ (1289 -1341), daughter of Charles II of Naples and Mary of Hungary, and wife of Frederick III of Sicily
- Eleanor of Woodstock ‒ (1318 – 1355), daughter of Edward II, wife of Reynold II, Count of Gelderland
- Eleanor of Arborea ‒ (1347 – 1404), Sardinian judge
- Eleanor Anne Porden ‒ (1795 – 1825), English poet
- Ellinor Aiki ‒ (1893 – 1969), Estonian painter
- Eleanor Bodel ‒ (born 1948), Swedish singer
- Eleanor Gwynn ‒ (known colloquially as “Nell”) (1650-1687), Restoration actress and mistress of Charles II of England
- Ulrika Eleonora of Sweden ‒ Queen of Sweden (December 1718 – February 1720).
- Eleanor Maria Easterbrook Ames ‒ (1831 – 1908), American writer, publisher
- Eleanor Marx ‒ (1855 – 1898), British writer and daughter of Karl Marx
- Eleanor Porter ‒ (1868 – 1920), American novelist
- Eleanor Rathbone ‒ (1872 – 1946), British politician
- Eleanor Sinclair Rohde ‒ (1881 – 1950), British garden designer
- Eleanor Farjeon ‒ (1881 – 1965), British writer
- Eleanor Roosevelt ‒ (1884 – 1962), First Lady of U.S. President Franklin Roosevelt
- Eleanor Lansing Dulles ‒ (1895 – 1996), American economist and diplomat
- Elinor Wylie ‒ (1885 – 1928), American writer
- Eleanor Boardman ‒ (1898 – 1991), American actress
- Eleanor of Sicily ‒ (1349 -1375), wife of Peter IV of Arago
Famous Fictional Characters Named Eleanor
Eleanor is a popular name for fictional female characters used in books, movies, and even music.
To help you with finding a great nickname for your Eleanor, take a look at some famous fictional characters named Eleanor:
- Elanor Gardner ‒ Samwise Gamgee’s daughter in The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
- Eleanor Butterbean ‒ in the television series The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
- Eleanor Douglas ‒ in the 2013 young adult novel, Eleanor & Park, written by Rainbow Rowell.
- Eleanor “Ellie” Arroway ‒ the 1985 novel Contact by Carl Sagan
- Eleanor Hume ‒ the main character from the videogame Tales of Berseria
- Eleanor Lamb ‒ one of the main protagonists of BioShock 2 by Irrational Games.
- Eleanor Nash ‒ In Degrassi: The Next Generation
- Eleanor Savage ‒ fictional love interest, therapeutic friend, and conversational other to protagonist Amory Blaine in F. Scott Fitzgerald’s This Side of Paradise.
- Eleanor Shellstrop ‒ the protagonist of American fantasy sitcom The Good Place.
- Eleanor of Tristain ‒ fictional character in the novels and anime The Familiar of Zero
- Eleanora ‒ principal woman’s rôle in Strindberg’s 1901 Easter
- Elenore Baker ‒ supporting role in the anime Madlax
- Eleanor Waldorf ‒ the mother of one of the protagonists Blair Waldorf in the TV series Gossip Girl
- Elinor Dashwood ‒ in the 1811 novel Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
- Eleanor Tilney ‒ in the 1803 novel Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
Popular Nicknames for Eleanor
There are a lot of options to choose from when it comes to picking nicknames. You can opt for a cute, funny or cool nickname from our list of popular nicknames for people named Eleanor:
- Elle ‒ A nickname for an Eleanor that is French.
- Ellie ‒ An incredibly intelligent Eleanor.
- El ‒ From the first two letters of Eleanor.
- Nori ‒ A Japanese nickname for Eleanor.
- Nora ‒ A Eleanor that is a shining light.
- Elie Bug ‒ A nickname for a cute Eleanor.
- Elle Belle ‒ A beautiful Eleanor (A Beauty and the Beast reference)
- Elma ‒ A Eleanor with pretty eyes.
- Nellie ‒ The sweetest and most caring Eleanor.
- Lanie ‒ A Eleanor that brightens up your life.
- Ellen ‒ A funny Eleanor (An Ellen DeGeneres reference)
- Lily ‒ A pure Eleanor.
- Ella ‒ A nickname for an Eleanor that has a bubbly personality.
- Lana ‒ A nickname for an Irish Eleanor.
- Annie ‒ A sweet Eleanor.
- Nell ‒ A caring and amazing Eleanor.
- Lea ‒ A fun outgoing Eleanor.
- Leo ‒ A supportive Eleanor.
- Lena ‒ A generous, kind Eleanor.
- Elean ‒ A nickname for a humble Eleanor.
- Leor ‒ A nickname for an Eleanor that brightens up your life.
- Noneen ‒ A cute nickname for Eleanor that reminds you of a daisy.
- Noree ‒ A cute pet name for Eleanor.
- Elanor ‒ A variant for Eleanor.
- Leni ‒ A German nickname for Eleanor.
- Els ‒ El in Eleanor spelled with an S.
- EleaCake ‒ An Eleanor that loves cake.
- Lee Lee ‒ A French nickname for an Eleanor that blossoms like a Lily.
- Alora ‒ A talented Eleanor.
- Elenor ‒ A variant of Eleanor.
- Lenny ‒ A nickname for a brave Eleanor.
- Leon ‒ A nickname for a smart Eleanor.
- Laine – A nickname for a very hot Eleanor.
Nicknames are a great way to shorten names and make them even more exciting.
Let us know if there is any other Eleanor nicknames we should add to the list by leaving a comment below.