Have you been struggling to find nicknames for Anthony?
Finding the right nicknames can be an exciting activity. Whether it’s for a lover, a best friend, a family member, a new pet, or even yourself, picking out the most suitable nickname definitely feels good.
However, when you can’t find a nickname, this activity can quickly become a chore.
In this article, we’ve put together a list of the good nicknames for Anthony as well as helpful descriptions to make your selection process painless!
But first, where does the name Anthony originate from?
Anthony is a popular masculine name derived from Antonii/Antonius, an old Roman family name of unknown etymology. Anthony is interpreted as “priceless” and “of inestimable worth.”
Back in the 17th century, “Anthony” was widely associated with the Greek word “Anthos” which means flower.
Today, this Christian name has grown in popularity especially in countries like the United States,
Table of Contents
Famous People Named Anthony
An excellent place to start when trying to find a suitable nickname is to consider some of the notable personalities who bear the name. Here are some of the most famous people named Anthony:
- Anthony “Tony” Stark – A fictional character also known as Iron Man, played by Robert Downey Jr. and based on the Marvel Comics.
- Anthony Jarrad Morrow – American professional basketball player.
- Anthony Frank Hawk – American actor and professional skateboarder.
- Anthony Joseph Kiedis – American musician, lead singer, and lyricist of the band Red Hot Chili Peppers.
- Anthony Oluwafemi Joshua – British professional boxer and former unified world heavyweight champion.
- Anthony Howard “Tony” Goldwyn – American actor and director.
- Anthony Cornelius Hamilton – American R&B singer-songwriter, and record producer.
- Anthony Stewart Head – English actor and musician.
- Anthony Deane Rapp – American stage/film actor and singer.
- Anthony Anderson – American actor and writer, and star of ABC’s Black-ish.
Are you ready to get started? Here’s our list of nicknames for Anthony – enjoy!
Is Tony a Nickname for Anthony?
Is Tony an actual name or a nickname for Anthony?
The short answer is yes, Tony is regarded as a nickname derived from the original name Anthony, just as most other popular nicknames are formed.
The popularity of the name Tony has, however, steadily peaked, especially in Italy, the United States, and the United Kingdom. It is interpreted to mean “priceless” and “highly praiseworthy,” and the name has been used independently more often and not just as a nickname.
However, most people who bear Anthony are frequently nicknamed Tony more than any other variant.
Popular Nicknames for Anthony
- Tony – Everyone’s favorite nickname for Anthony.
- Ant – A short form of Anthony.
- Ant-Man – Inspired by the Marvel Comics character, Ant-Man.
- Anton – A nickname for Anthony with Bulgarian origin.
- Antwan – A variation popularly used by African-Americans.
- Aunt Tony – A tease nickname that sounds similar to the original name when pronounced
- Iron Man – Inspired by the character played by popular American actor Robert Downey Jr. (also known as Tony Stark) and the perfect fit for a strong or muscular Tony.
- King Tony – A cool nickname for Tony
- Nat – A nickname derived from shuffling some of the first letters in the name.
- Nino – A short form of Anthony; interestingly, it means boy in Spanish.
- T-Bag – T from Tony.
- Tee – Derived from the pronunciation of the popular nickname Tony.
- Thanos – Inspired by the Marvel Comics fictional supervillain, Thanos.
- Tiger Ton – A nickname for a stern-faced or frightening Tony.
- Tone – A short nickname for Anthony.
- Tones – Anthony with a perfect or glowing skin tone.
- T-Rex – A nickname suitable for a tall and intimidating person named Tony.
- Twan – A cool nickname for Anthony.
- Megaton – A cool nickname for a heavy Tony.
- Antonini – A variant of Anthony.
- Antonius – Latin variant of the name.
- Antun – A Croatian-rooted nickname for one who bears Anthony.
Other Nicknames for Anthony
- AJ – Nicknamed after the famous boxer, Anthony Joshua.
- Andy – Anthony becomes Ant, and one day someone calls him Andy and boom!
- Anth – A short form of Anthony.
- Antin – A short form of Anthony.
- Antóin – Irish variant of the name.
- Antoine – A nickname for Anthony with European origin.
- Antolicious – A cheesy nickname for a sweet and precious little Anthony.
- Antonin – A nickname with Czech/French origin, meaning “priceless, inestimable or praiseworthy.”
- Big Tuna – A funny nickname for Anthony.
- Irony – because it rhymes.
- Priceless – From the literal interpretation of the name Anthony, for an exceptional Tony.
- A-Symphony – An exquisite nickname for a music lover named Anthony.
- Pepper Toni – Inspired by Pepperoni.
- Stoney – Anthony with an intimidating or stony face.
- Tonito – A Spanish/Italian variant for an Anthony, meaning “Priceless one.”
- Tony Baloney – For a silly or playful person who bears Anthony.
- Tony Blair – Adapted from the name of the Former British Prime Minister, Tony Blair.
- Tony Flex – For an extrovert named Anthony or one who’s hard not to notice.
- Tony Hawk – Inspired by American professional skateboarder, actor, and owner of a skateboard company, Anthony Frank Hawk.
- Tony Stark – An alternative to the nickname Iron Man.
- Tony Thunder – For a powerful person named Tony who commands attention.
- T-Pony – A funny nickname for Anthony.
So, there you have it – the best nicknames for Anthony!
Do you know any other nicknames suitable for an Anthony that’s not included on our list?
Something you’ve been called or a name you’ve given someone, you know? Kindly share them with us in the comments section below!