If you’re searching for a nickname for someone named Ella, then it’s a good thing you’re here because we have listed several creative and popular nicknames you can call someone named Ella.
Table of Contents
Meaning and Origin of the name Ella?
The name Ella is said to have varying origins and meanings. According to Greek mythology, Ella is the cognate form of ‘Hellas’ which is the Greek word for Greece. In Modern Hebrew, the name Ella means “goddess.” Ella is also the Norman version of the German name, Alia, which means “All.”
Now that we know these about the name Ella, let’s get into the nicknames!
Popular Nicknames for Ella
These nicknames are the most commonly used and widely accepted substitutes for the original name, Ella. They are, in many cases, diminutives of the name itself. Here are popular nicknames for Ella:
- El Bell
- Ella B
Cute and Funny Nicknames for Ella
Cute nicknames are formed by attaching endearing words/terms to a name. Funny name puns are also a great idea if you’re looking for something silly but cute! Here are some cute and funny nicknames for Ella:
- Ella Dove
- Ella Doll
- Ella Dear
- Ella Bug
- Ella Elf
- Ella Bear/ElleBear
- Ella Boo
- Elephant: A funny Ella pet name.
- Umbrella: It’s cuter when you call her “My Umbrella.”
- Ella Doe
- Ella Gorella
- Ella Foefella
Nicknames from Famous People Named Ella
Famous people can be an inspiring source of names and nicknames too! Below is a list of famous people named Ella:
- Ella Mai: English Singer and songwriter.
- Ella Jane Fitzgerald (also known as First Lady of Song or Lady Ella): An American Jazz singer.
- Ella Marija O’Connor (also known as Lorde): A New Zealand singer and songwriter.
- Ella Jay Bason (also known as Cassandra Cain): An American actress.
- Ella Chen Chia-Hwa (also known as Chen Jiahua): A member of S.H.E, a Taiwanese singing girl group.
- Ella Endlich (also known as Junia): A German singer.
- Ella McMahon (also known as Ella Eyre): An English singer.
- Ella Cara Deloria (also known as Beautiful Day Woman): An American educator, linguist, and novelist.
- Ella Baker (also known as Fundi): An African American civil rights activist.
- Ella Anderson (also known as Piper or Ellavator): An American actress.
- Ella Cruz (also known as Aryana): A Filipino actress.
- Mildred Ella Didrikson Zaharias (also known as Babe): An American athlete.
Nicknames from Fictional Characters Named Ella
Characters from books, movies, and television shows can provide an endless list of fun nicknames to choose from. Here are some nicknames from fictional characters named Ella:
- Ella (also known as Ella of Frelle): The main character in the film, Ella Enchanted.
- Ella (also known as Reader of the Sibylline books): A character in the novel series, Heroes of Olympus.
- Ella Hart (also known as Macy): A character on Emmerdale, a British soap opera.
- Ella Lopez (also known as Ellen): A character on the television series, Lucifer.
- Ella Malikova (also known as Cuz or Pauchok): A character in the book series, Illuminae.
Did we leave out any good nicknames? Please share them with us in the comments section!