Do you need a good nickname for someone named George? This article covers all you need to know about the name George, it’s origins, meanings, and popular nicknames for George.
Before first, let’s consider the meaning of the name George, its origins, and popularity over time.
The name George is a masculine name for boys of theophoric origins derived from the Greek name ‘Georgois’ an early title for the Greek god Zeus meaning ‘farmer’, ‘tiller of the soil.’
The name George gained popularity following its association with the Christian Martyr, Saint George, a member of the Praetorian Guard sentenced to death following his refusal to enounce Christianity.
Georgy has gained prominence in the Western world with diminutives such as Geordie and Georgie. George is also popular in its various feminine forms including Georgina, Georgene, and Georgeanna to mention a few.
Table of Contents
Popular Nicknames for George
Regardless of what type of nickname for George you want and how you intend to use it, you can bet that one of these nicknames for George would fit right into your plans. Here are some nicknames for George:
- Boy George
- George of the jungle
- Prince George
- Georgie Boo
- Curious George
- Georgie Porgie
- Jug – A cool nickname for George (A Riverdale reference).
- Lil G – A cool nickname for anyone named George who is also a rapper (A Lil Wayne reference).
- Georgi – A Bulgarian variant for George.
- Georg – A German variant for George.
- Georgius – A Latin variant for George.
- Judge Judy – Because it rhymes.
Famous People Named George
When choosing a name, it is no news that we most times consider the names of some of our favorite celebrities and the same is the case with finding a nickname.
Take a look at some famous people named George for inspiration on some possible nicknames for George. Here are some famous people named George:
- George Herbert Walker Bush –(1924-2018), 41st President of the United States
- George Stanich –(born 1928), American high jumper
- Yuri Gagarin –(1934-1968)
- GeorgeTimothy Clooney – (born May 6, 1961) is an American actor, director, producer and filmmaker
- George Walker Bush – son of George Herbert Walker Bush and 43rd President of the United States
- George Dario Franchitti –(born 1973), Scottish racing driver
- George Washington – (1732-1799), first President of the United States (1789-97), and one of the Founding Fathers of the United States
- Prince George of Cambridge –(born 2013), third-in-line to the British throne.
- Boy George – (born GeorgeAlan O’Dowd; 14 June 1961) English singer, songwriter, DJ and fashion designer
- George Orwell –born Eric Arthur Blair (25 June 1903 – 21 January 1950) was an English novelist and essayist, journalist and critic.
Famous Fictional Characters Named George
Like many other names, George is not just popular among real-life people, it is also very popular among fictional characters. Consider some fictional characters named George for hits on nicknames for George. Here are some famous fictional characters named George:
- George Constanza – character on Tv’s “Seinfeld” Curious George, monkey in books by Hans Augusto and Margret Rey
- George Weasly – character in the Harry Potter series, twin of Fred Weasley
- George Bailey – the main character in the film “It’s a Wonderful Life”
- George Banks – father in book/film “Mary Poppins”
- George Banks – the main character in the Father of the Bride films
- George Knightley – character in Jane Austen’s “Emma”
- George Foyet – character on TV’s “Criminal Minds”
- George Crawley – son of Mary and Matthew on TV’s “Downtown Abbey”
- George Jetson – character on TV’s “The Jetsons”
- George Oscar “Gob” Bluth – character on TV’s “Arrested Development”
- George – lead actor in George of the Jungle is a 1997 American action-adventure romantic comedy film
Now, it is your turn to add any great nicknames for George that isn’t on the list.