Despite being a popular name for boys, nicknames for Jacob can scarce, which is why we have compiled a list of all the best Jacob nicknames and pet names we know.
But, first, what is the meaning of the name Jacob?
Like Jack, John, Jason, Jacob is also a popular name for boys. Jacob is a cognate word for James, which means James is a modern descendant of Iacobus, the Latin form of the Hebrew name Jacob.
The name Jacob is derived from the Latin “lacobus” which is also derived from the Greek “lakobus” which was in turn derived from the Hebrew name “Yaqob,” who was a Hebrew patriarch and biblical figure, Jacob, son of Isaac and Rebecca. The name Jacob means ‘to follow” and also “to supplant.”
Here are some other variations of the name Jacob:
- Jakob, Jacobus, Jakobus – Afrikaans
- Jakup, Jakobi – Albanian
- Yakub – Arabic
- Thiago – Portuguese
- Jakob – German
- Yakubu – Hausa
- Jakobu – Yoruba
Table of Contents
Famous People Named Jacob
Here are some famous people named Jacob:
- Jacob Benjamin Gyllenhaal (American actor)
- Jacob Edward Peavy (American baseball pitcher)
- Jacob Vargas (Mexican-American actor)
- Jacob Dolson (American politician, 28th Governor of Ohio)
- Jacob Seth Lofland (American actor)
- Jacob Tremblay (Canadian actor)
- Jacob Artist (American actor and singer)
- Jacob Mark Pits (American guitarist)
- Jacob Hubner (German entomologist)
- Jacob Pavlovich Adler (Ukrainian-American Yiddish actor)
- Jacob Bernoulli (Swiss mathematician)
- Jacob Loucks Devers (U.S Army general)
- Jacob Whitesides (American singer)
- Jacob Tremblay (Canadian actor)
- Jacob Dalton (American artistic gymnast)
- Jacob Sartorius (American pop singer)
Famous Characters Named Jacob
Jacob is also a popular character name in many TV shows, movies, and books. Here are some fictional characters named Jacob.
- Jacob Marley (Character from Dickens “A Christmas Carol”)
- Jacob (Lost)
- Jacob David Jake (Two and a Half Men)
- Jacob Jake Pentecost (Pacific Rim)
- Jacob Jake Sisko (Star Trek – Deep Space Nine)
- Jacob Daniel Johnson (Nightmare on Elm Street)
- Jacob Kowalski (Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them)
- Jacob Palmer (Crazy, Stupid, Love)
- Jacob Jake Barnes (The Sun Also Rises)
- Jacob Carter (Stargate – SG-1)
Short Nicknames for Jacob
One easy way to figure out a nickname for Jacob is to use the letters of the name to create one. Here are some popular short nicknames for Jacob:
- Jaco – The first four letters of Jacob.
- Job – The first letter of Jacob and its last two letters.
- Cob – The last 3 letters of Jacob.
- Cobb – Cob with an extra B.
- Cobby – Cobb with a Y.
- Jacoby – Jacob spelled with a Y.
- Jay – J in Jacob spelled as pronounced.
- Jo – First and fourth letters in Jacob.
- Jab – The first two letters in Jacob and the last one.
Cute Nicknames for Jacob
We often want to have nicknames we call extraordinary people in our lives, and people called Jacob are not left out. Here are some cute Jacob nicknames:
- Jay-Baby – A Jacob who is also your baby.
- Jakey – A jumpy Jacob.
- Jakey-Jake – A cute form for Jakey.
- Jay Jay – J in Jacob spelled as Jay.
- J-bear – A Jacob you can cuddle.
- Jace – A pleasant Jacob.
- Jace Cutie – A cute Jacob.
- Jakey boy – An adorable boy named Jacob.
- JayBird – A Jacob who loves airplanes.
- Jakey-Poo – A Winnie the Pooh reference.
- JacobBooBear – A Jacob who is your boo.
- Jacey – A feminine Jacob.
- Jacob-Roo – A adorable nickname for Jacob.
- Sweet Jacob – Similar to Sweet Jesus.
Funny Nicknames for Jacob
If you have a buddy named Jacob and you fancy a funny nickname for him, here are some funny Jacob nicknames:
- Jakey Wakey – A Jacob who is always asleep.
- Jacob jawbone – A Jacob who speaks informally.
- JacobWooBear – A Jacob who reminds you of a bear.
- Chunky Jacob – A chubby Jacob.
- Jacob Jackal – A basic Jacob.
- Jack of All Trades – A Jacob who can do everything.
- Cob-o-corn – A reference to corn on cob.
Cool Nicknames for Jacob
- Yakob – A Hebrew Jacob.
- Jason – A kind-hearted Jacob.
- Jace – A sweet Jacob.
- Jakob – A cognate of Jacob.
- Jack – A variation for Jacob.
- Jacko – A Jacob who dances (A reference to the King of Pop – Michael Jackson).
- Jacky – An intelligent Jacob.
- J-bone – A Jacob who is a good friend
- J-dawg – An extremely cool Jacob
- Sporty Jakey – A Jacob that loves sports.
- Jacobaoli – An Indian Jacob.
- Jazzy Jakey – A jiggy Jacob.
- Jacober – A Jewish variation for Jacob.
- Jazz – The first to letters from Jacob (A Jacob who loves Jazz).
- Jakey B – (A Jacob who is like a brother)
- Jacobi – A variant for Jacob.
- Jay Derulo – A reference to the American singer Jason Derulo, a Jacob who loves music.
- Jay Z – A reference to American rapper Jayz, a Jacob who loves to rap.
- Jay Millz – A Jacob who is considered extremely cool.
- Jacobus – A variant for Jacob.
- Jakeson – A cool Jacob.
Our list of nicknames for Jacob would save you the stress of having to figure out nicknames for anyone called Jacob yourself. These nicknames have been carefully selected to ensure that they are a perfect match for your Jacob.
If you think there are any more nicknames we should know, leave us a comment.