If you have been searching for awesome nicknames to call someone named Jonathan, we bet you’d love this list of excellent nicknames for Jonathan!
Jonathan is a name for male children with biblical origins. This article provides you with different categories of nicknames that can be personalized for your Jonathan.
Jonathan is a Hebrew name meaning “Yahweh has given.” Its first use can be traced to the Old Testament of biblical times, the name of the eldest son of King Saul, friend to David.
Jonathan, in the late fifties, began to replace John as a more playful, sensitive, and modern option. In 2011, Jonathan was ranked the 31st most popular boy name in the United States.
Variants of Jonathan include Jonathon, Johnathan, Jonothon, Jonothan, Johnathen.
Table of Contents
Popular People Named Jonathan
Many people are nicknamed after a famous person that bears their name. There are quite many famous people named Jonathan, they include:
- Jonathan Swift (Irish novelist)
- Jonathan Daniel “Jon” Hamm (American actor)
- Jonathan Stuart Leibowitz, birth name of Jon Stewart (American comedian and TV host)
- Jonathan Harshman Winters (American comedian)
- Jonathan Rhys Meyers (Irish actor)
- Robert Jonathan Demme (American film director)
- Jonathan Scott Frakes (American actor)
- Jonathan Safran Foer (American novelist)
- Jonathan Firth (English actor)
- Herbert Jonathan Cape (English publisher)
- Jonathan Stark (American tennis player)
- Jonathan Jonny Marray (English tennis player)
- Jonathan Taylor Thomas (American actor)
- Jonathan Coulton (American singer-songwriter)
- Jonathan Stewart (American football player)
- Jonathan Joel Babineaux (American football player)
- Jonathan Alan Horton (American gymnast)
- Goodluck Ebele Azikiwe Jonathan (Nigerian politician)
- Jonathan Brian Toews (Canadian hockey player)
- Jonathan Patrick Joly (Irish vlogger)
- Jonathan Cheban (American TV personality)
- Jonathan Crombie (Canadian actor)
Popular Characters Named Jonathan
Jonathan is also a very popular name used in friction writing. Popular characters named Jonathan include:
- Jonathan Byers (Stranger Things)
- Jonathan “Johnny” DiMarco (Degrassi: The Next Generation)
- Jonathan Lightwood Herondale “Jace” (The Shadowhunter Chronicles)
- Jonathan Morgenstern (Shadowhunters)
- Jonathan Harker (Dracula)
- Jonathan IV of Conté (Hand of the Goddess)
- Jonathan “Jon” Kent (Superman)
- Jonathan “Johnny” Storm (Marvel Universe)
- Jonathan Pangborn (Marvel Universe)
- Jonathan “Jono” Van Helsing (Eric van Helsing’s Son in Young Dracula)
- Jonathan E (Rollerball)
- Jonathan “John” Gilbert (Vampire Diaries)
- Jonathan Crane aka The Scarecrow (Batman)
- Jonathan “Than” Getslinhaumer (The Most Popular Girls in School)
- Jonathan Livingston Seagull (novel by Richard Bach)
- Jonathan Archer (Star Trek: Enterprise)
- Jonathan J. “Jack” O’Neill (Stargate SG-1)
- Jonathan Levinson (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
- Jonathan Phaedrus (The Reckoners Trilogy)
Short Nicknames for Jonathan
What are the short nicknames for the name, Jonathan?
- Jon – The first three letters of Jonathan.
- Nathan – From the last six letters of Jonathan.
- Nat – The first three letters of Nathan.
- Jo – The first two letters of Jonathan.
- Jay – J spelled as Jay.
- Jona – First four letters of Jonathan.
- Jonat – The first five letters of Jonathan.
- Jay – J spelled as pronounced.
- Jonan – First four letters of Jonathan and the last n.
- Nath – First four letters of Nathan.
Cute Nicknames for Jonathan
An adorable person deserves cute nicknames, so, you know any adorable or charming Jonathan, here are some cute Jonathan nicknames that would be a perfect match:
- Jonty – A little Jonathan.
- Nate – A smart Jonathan.
- Jonny – A kind Jonathan.
- Jonnyboy – A favorite Jonathan.
- Jon-boy – An adorable Jonathan.
- Jon Jon – Jon spelled twice.
- JellyJo – An adorable Jonathan.
- Jody – A Jonathan who is as sweet as candy.
- JollyJo – An exited Jonathan.
- Nae – A cute Jonathan.
- Nateycakie – A Jonathan who loves cake.
- NayNay – Na spelled as Nay.
- Natty – An exciting Jonathan.
Funny Nicknames for Jonathan
You should consider choosing a nickname that would bring back fond memories which would definitely make you laugh when selecting a nickname for your Jonathan, and this list of funny nicknames for Jonathan is just what you need:
- JayBaybee – A Jonathan who acts like a child.
- Jay Boyo – A funny variant of Jay Boy.
- Jonah – A reference to the biblical Jonah, a Jonathan who can sleep through anything.
- JoSnacky – A Jonathan who eats a lot.
- Emo-Jo – An emotional Jonathan.
- Jo-Fish – A spin-off of Go fish, a Jonathan who is good at card games
- ChattyJay – A Jonathan who talks a lot.
- Jonathan Goatee – A Jonathan with a lot of beards.
- BookieJo – A Jonathan who reads a lot.
- JoSnail – A very slow Jonathan.
Cool Nicknames for Jonathan
If you ever wondered what cool nickname you could use for anyone named Jonathan, then you have come to the right place. Our list of cool nicknames for Jonathan is bound to catch the fancy of anyone looking for a cool nickname for Jonathan.
- J-Dawg – A Jonathan, who is a great friend.
- Jay Man – A Jonathan, who is the man.
- Thanny – “Than” in Jonathan spelled with a “ny.”
- Jon-O – Jon spelled with an O.
- Jonner – Jonner, a variant for Jona.
- Jon-Ji – An Indian Jonathan (-Ji, a suffix in India).
- Jonty – A popular British nickname for Jonathan.
- Yoni – An Israeli nickname for Jonathan.
- Jonathan Hardcore – A really tough Jonathan.
- HotJo – A hot Jonathan.
- Jozilla – A Godzilla reference, a very tall Jonathan.
- Honjo – A spin-off of Honcho, a Jonathan who loves trap music.
- Joburg – Often used as a reference for Johannesburg, a Jonathan who loves to travel.
- JMoney – A rich Jonathan.
- NastyJo – A spin-off of Nasty C, a Jonathan who loves rap music.
- Jochella – A Jonathan who likes to perform.
- NatTheGreat – A popular Jonathan.
- Johnny Bravo – Especially if he has no shortage of confidence.
Having the right nickname is just as important as having the right name. Our carefully selected nicknames for Jonathan are a perfect fit for all Jonathan’s.