Do you need a good nickname to call someone named Matthew? We have compiled a huge list of all the cute, funny, clever and awesome Mathew nicknames we could find, fingers crossed, you will find the perfect nickname for your Matthew.
But first, where did the name Matthew come from? And can this information be used to come up with some clever nicknames?
The name Matthew is an English name derived from a Hebrew name known as “Matityahu.” The Hebrew name means “Gift of Yahweh” which can also be translated as the “Gift of God.” The Greek adopted it and called it “Matthaios.” In Latin, it became “Matthaeus” and finally the modern “Matthew.”
Matthew is the first book of the New Testament. It was written by Matthew, a disciple of Jesus Christ. He was one of the twelve that walked with the Lord in the three years of Ministry.
Before becoming a disciple of Jesus, Matthew was a tax collector, and he was previously called Levi. So, if you call someone named Matthew Levi, or Tax collector, at least you had a reason.
You can come up with good nicknames for Matthew by adding cute or funny words, shortening the name, or by calling him a word that rhymes with Matthew.
Table of Contents
Popular Matthew Nicknames
The following are popular nicknames for Matthew:
- MJ – Representing Matthew Junior. Perfect if the father or grandfather is also a Matthew.
If you prefer a short name for Matthew, the above nicknames would be perfect.
Cute Matthew Nicknames
If you prefer a sweet and adorable pet name for Matthew, here are cute nicknames for Matthew:
- Mays – It is a combination of Mathew and his son.
- Matty Cakes
- Mattie Poo
- Matty boy
- Matty Patty
- Matty Ice – Like Natty Ice.
- Matterhorn – For a loud Matthew.
- Mmmmm-hot – Only for good looking guys.
- Big boy Matt
- Wonderby Matthew
- Matty B – It could be Matty C, E or any letter of the alphabet. Pick the first letter of his surname.
Funny Matthew Nicknames
Funny nicknames are fun for everyone, except the person with the nickname. If you prefer a funny nickname, the following Matthew nicknames are perfect:
- 7:7 – A funny nickname for a guy named Matthew, which references the popular bible verse; Matthew 7:7. “Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.” As you can imagine this nickname started as Matthew 7:7. Eventually, everyone just went with 7:7.
- Mattato – Like a Potato.
- Matato matata – From the worry-free line “Hakuna Matata.”
- Matt the Cat – For a flexible guy.
- Match – Perfect for the guy who is as thin as a matchstick.
- Moo – The sound a cow makes. Not may Matthew will like this nickname.
- M n M – After the chocolate brand.
- Mattchu – The sound of a sneeze. You can shorten it further to “Chu.”
- MattAttack – Sounds like a heart attack.
- Matty Waty
- Matt in the Hat
- Mashu – Created from Asian pronunciation accidents.
- Mattricia – You can call a Mathew who has a Patricia in his life as a wife, mother, sister or girl.
- Fat Matt – Ideal for a chubby Matthew, you might get punched in the face if you use this nickname.
Clever Matthew Nicknames
If you prefer creative and inventive pet names, you would love these clever Matthew nicknames:
- Acclimatt – Derived and similar to the word acclimate.
- Acromattic – For a gymnast or a very flexible Matthew.
- Aromattics – If he smells good all the time.
- Diplomatt – An adventurous Matthew.
- Emmy – Eh-Me, it is like pronouncing the letter M with a long sounding E.
- Hewmorous – The “Hew” if from the latter part of Mathew. It is similar in pronunciation to the word “Humorous.” Perfect for a funny Matthew.
- Matteo Alacran – Derived from a book titled “The House of Scorpions.”
- Mattematics – Great for a nerd or book worm.
- Matencesse – Rhymes with the word “Frankincense.”
- Wehttam – A reverse of the name “Matthew.”
- Mattrick – Sounds like Patrick.
- Mattasaurus – Similar to the Thesaurus. You can give to the guy that seems to everything.
- Ya boi Mateus
- Matticus Finch
- Matted – The Matthew with the unruly hair.
- Mattholomeu – One of Christ disciples was called Bartholomew.
- Door Matt – Insinuating the word “doormat.”
- Bath Matt – Great for a shirtless man who doesn’t like to wear clothes.
- Major – A combination of Mathew and Junior
- Matthuselah – A name in honor of the oldest man who ever lived. The Biblical Methuselah who lived for 365 years.
- Mattchu Picchu
- Mattimus Prime
- Mattachussettes – Like the city of Massachusetts.
Female Matthew Nicknames
These are names that can be used for a female and it is related to the name Matthew. They can also serve as nicknames for a Matthew for fun or in reality.
Language Interpretations of Matthew
The spellings and pronunciation of Matthew in other languages differ, which means you can use any of these language variations as a nickname for a guy named Matthew:
- Maiu – Gaelic
- Maidiu – Gaelic
- Mathuin – Irish, which means bear as well
- Maitiu – Anglo-Saxon
- Matej – Czech
- Maitas – Celtic
- Mata – Gaelic, this is also a name borne by a popular footballer.
- Matvei – Russian
- Mathias – Scandinavian
- Matthieu – French
- Mattathias – Greek
- Matiss – Latvian
- Makaio – Hawaiian
- Matic – Slovene
- Matus – Slovak
- Matia – Basque
- Matija – Serbian
- Mattaniah – Biblical
- Mate – Georgian
- Maciej – Polish
- Motya – Russian
- Matthijis – Dutch
- Mato – Croatian
Now, it is your turn to share any good nickname for Matthew you know. Don’t forget to tell us the story behind the nickname.