Between Samwise Gamgee, Samwell Tarley, and Sam-I-Am (a prominent character in Dr. Seuss book, Green Eggs and Ham), which is the most famous Sam nickname of all time?
From books to music, television and the big screen, the name Sam is one of the most loved fictional characters of all time. There is no prize for guessing that this factor has made the name one of the most popular and adorable names.
Interestingly, Sam itself is short for Samuel, Sameer, Samir, Samson, Samantha and any name that starts with Sam or has Sam in it.
Before we dig into the several nicknames for Sam, let us briefly examine where the hell did the name come from? As earlier mentioned, Sam is mostly a popular nickname for Samuel.
Samuel has its background in the Holy Bible; it means “God heard,” or “Name of God.” Originally it was shěmū’ē‘l or Shmuel in Hebrew. The Greek spelled it Samouel, and then the English made it even simpler – Samuel!
Table of Contents
Famous People Named Sam
Famous people are a common source of good nicknames. For example, Samuel L. Jackson is a good Samuel nickname. The following are famous people named Sam:
- Sam Worthington – Born in 1976, this Australian actor was the star in the 2009 mega-blockbuster, Avatar. Other than receiving Australia’s most prestigious film award for his lead role in “Somersault,” this cute dude is a lady’s favorite by all standard.
- Sam Smith – He’s got one of the coolest voices and most enchanting musical lyrics of this generation. This British singer is more refreshing than ice!
- Sam Snead – The American professional golf god who teed and swung masterfully for over four decades.
- Sam Cooke – Said to own the sexiest tenor voice any adult could ever boast of. This guy can sing and serenade fiery dragons to sleep.
- Sam Allardyce – Big Sam is a hot-headed soccer coach famous for his touchline banters. West Ham United never had a better manager.
You see, there are a thousand and one Sam, dead and alive, who one can look up to.
Just like ‘Big Sam,’ there are also very many alterations and nicknames of the name Sam. Let’s see which would catch your fancy.
Short Nicknames for Samuel
First, we start with the short nicknames for Samuel and all other popular nicknames used for people named any of the Sam names.
Cute Nicknames for Sam
If you prefer cute and adorable pet names for your loved ones, you would love sweet Samuel and Sam nicknames:
- Samwise – A friend that is completely loyal and would go the extra mile for his friends.
- Samwell – Though a common variant of Samuel, Samwell has recently been associated with courage and forthrightness. This nickname for Sam became popular after the TV series, Game of Thrones became the world’s favorite evening pastime.
- Sam-I-Am – This nickname is, no doubt, the most common among the lot. Dr. Seuss’ Green Eggs and Ham children’s book gifted the world a character that bears a nickname for Sam which would be loved for all generations, now and forever.
- Sammymcslammy – He is a slamming gorgeous Irish boy.
- Samsung – A very tech savvy Sam who is also very resourceful at the office.
- Samsquatch – A weird and creepy Sam that never stops yapping about Ogres, Yetis, and Sasquatch.
- Sambo – A Sam that is as strong and determined as Rambo.
- Samwich – He’ll do anything for a ham and butter sandwich.
- Samshine – The sunshine in everyone’s life.
- Uncle Sam – Like the U.S. Government.
- Sammy Jammy – He is a jolly good fellow, and everyone loves him.
- Samazing – The Sam that gets everything done, and on time. He is amazing.
- Samu – Clumsy fellow with a large heart and a funny face.
- Samburger – Sam got knighted with this nickname after getting crowned “staff of the year” at a Burger King.
- Samari – The other Sam from Japan.
- SamSam – A pretty cute Sam with a golden heart.
- Sammiepoo – His diapers were never dry when he was little.
- Sam-a-lamb – This Sam is the greatest sheep shearer in town.
- Sassee – He’s a sissy, an effeminate Sam in all ramifications.
- Sambam – A great guy but one who never parts with loose change and never tips.
- Mcsammer – He stutters but loves talking anyway.
- GramSam – An awesome Sam who is a brilliant tennis player. He might win a Grand Slam someday soon.
- Slam – A fabulous Sam who makes dunking balls in a basket hoop look like child’s play
- Awe Sam – He’s the lady’s man.
- Samich – Never trust this Sam, he is a snitch.
Cool Nicknames for Sam
What are some cool nicknames you can call a guy named Samuel? Or a Girl named Samantha? The following are cool nicknames you can call someone named Sam:
- Salam – An Arabic word, which means “peace.” Commonly used as a greeting in Arab, and Muslim communities.
- Samool – He’s always the coolest guy in class.
- Sammie the hammy – Sam and his hamster buddies are inseparable.
- Sam Winchester – A fictional character from the Supernatural TV Show. It is a cool nickname for a guy named Samuel. Every time you see him, mess with him by asking “Where is Dean?”
- Sammy plop – Fat Sam weighing quite a lot.
- IceSam – He’s smooth as silk and cool as ice when he talks.
- Samara – Twin brother of Tamara. Both are inseparable friends.
- SamanTEA – A truly cool name for Sam’s new Tea brand.
- Samathy – For a Sam that is a mathematics genius.
- Samster – He’s the fastest quarterback in the football team. Everyone thinks he’ll turn out a superstar someday.
- Sam the hammer – A forceful guy who gets what he wants by all means necessary.
- Sam the ram – Mom has always said he is stubborn, just like an unrelenting ram.
- Shammy – Sam with very clumsy and unstable fingers.
- Samer – Stay far away from this Sam, he is a scammer.
- Sammi Q – An exceptionally brilliant Sam with I.Q like Einstein.
- Sammy Nation – A natural born leader who expects 100% loyalty.
- Samba – Even better if he or she can do the samba dance.
- Samiami – Ferocious-looking Latina dude who runs the show in Downtown Miami.
- Sammy Whammy – This Sam gets the job done – all the time.
- SammyDaBoss – A very generous boss.
- Sambucal – He can be friendly or very combustible, it all depends on how you approach him.
- Samos – This Sam is a software geek, the brain behind Semos the ICT giant.
- Sammy Sprinkler – This is the most generous of all Sams, he sprinkles the greenback like he is spraying his green lawn.
- McDreamySam – Sam gives his Irish people a good name in America.
Clever Nicknames for Sam
If you need clever Sam usernames or nicknames, you will love these cool Sam nicknames:
- SamSpyder – His phobia for spiders earned him this nickname.
- SamShard – He almost fell off the 50th floor of the Shard when the iconic building was under construction. A guy with jittery feet.
- Samneedia – Clever and intelligent, this Sam could be your encyclopedia.
- Sambankey – You can bank on this Sam with full confidence.
- PriamSam – Since he stole the heart of the Prom queen, his friends never stopped calling him PriamSham.
- Samness – A good guy beyond all measure.
- Samrfeeds – Looking for the latest gist in town? Sam’s live feeds have got you covered.
- SamSiam – A Siamese twin successfully separated when he was a toddler.
- SamThin – A lean and tall Sam.
- SamTram – He loves magic and illusions to a fault.
- PopSam – This Sam is the karaoke king of pop.
- Samanagram – A smart guy who hides codes and secrets in creative anagrams.
- Samstring – Guitars, violins, and every other string instrument are his forte.
- Samshag – Naughty Sam who sleeps with everything in a skirt.
- Sammoose – He’s no Eskimo, but this Sam is one with the snow.
- Samarty – Top-class student, the smartest Sam in the city.
- SamSalon – His barber shop downtown is where all the naughty gist in the neighborhood go down.
- Nicersam – Like Samwise Gamgee and Samwell Tarley, this Sam can give up his life for you. He is a wonderful friend through and through.
- Psalms – Nicknamed after the popular Bible chapter.
Funny Nicknames for Sam
Now, to the funny Sam nicknames, remember these are equally funny nicknames for Samuel and all other forms of Sam:
- Sammae – Pronounced as SAM-HEYYYY!!!
- GoddamSam – This is Gotham City’s finest cop. Is he Batman’s new prodigy?
- SAM Alaikum – Hilarious nickname for Sam, culled from the popular Arabic greeting – As-salamu alaykum, which means “Peace be upon you”.
- Sammy Gaga – For crazy Sam.
- Sampoo – Wordplay on Shampoo.
- Sham – “Sam, you are Sham.”
- Sam the Sham – Sam the Sham, the American rock and roll singer.
- Samchatty – Want to chat? This Sam is a social media freak and can go all day typing away nonstop.
- Salsam – There was no better Salsa tutor than Sam the Salsam.
- oSAMa – Funny nickname for Sam. Bonus points if he grows a beard.
- Porty Pottie Sam – Sam got this nickname when he bathed himself with his potty while mom made a sandwich in the kitchen. He was three years old then.
From the weird to the wild, the loving and the strong, we’ve gathered the most amazing variations of Sam and by large nicknames for Samuel, Samantha, Samir, Samson and other popular Sam’s
Now, it is your turn to contribute the good, bad, and ugly Samuel or Sam nicknames you know.