Do you need good nicknames for Sebastian? In the article, we share all the cute, cool, and funny pet names you can call a guy named Sebastian. But first, let us take a look at the origin of the name “Sebastian.”
Sebastian is a name that has a bloody history. The name started from the Latin word “Sebastianus” which was given to people who came from a town called “Sebaste” in Asia Minor. The name literarily means “from Sebaste.” However, the town’s name was derived from the Greek word “Sebastos” which means “venerable,” “awe,” “reverence” and “dread.”
The name Sebastian became widely used because of a third-century saint called Sebastian. He was martyred for being a Christian by Emperor Diocletian, whose first attempt of shooting arrows at him didn’t kill him. Saint Sebastian went to see the Emperor again in hopes of admonishing him, but he was beaten to death.
Later, the 16th century King of Portugal also bore the name. He died in a crusade against Morocco.
Table of Contents
Famous People Named Sebastian
- Sebastian Cabot – Born 1484 and died around 1557. He was originally called Sebastiano Caboto, Italian explorer
- Sebastian Cabot (1918–1977) – British actor
- Sebastian Coe – British track and field athlete and Conservative Member of Parliament
- Sebastian Stan – The guy who shows up at the end of Black Panther
- Sebastian Kurz – The Chancellor of Austria.
- Sebastian Alexander Morgan – Born in 2007, son of American actress and television director Kim Fields
- Sebastian Thomas Hilfiger – Born in 2009, son of American fashion designer Tommy Hilfiger
- Sebastian Piers Williams – Born in 2018, son of American actor, director, and writer Ryan Piers Williams and American actress America Ferrera
- Sebastián Kindelán y Oregón 1763–1836 – Spanish colonel of the Spanish Army and governor of East Florida, the Dominican Republic and Cuba
- Sébastien Loeb – A rally car driver, 9 times world champion.
- Johann Sebastian Bach – Music composer. Although his Sebastian is a middle name, music lovers have come to love the name because of Bach.
- Sebastian Vettel – German racing driver, a four-time Formula One World Champion.
If you are a lover of the literary arts of books and media, then there are some beloved fictional characters that you will surely remember. Below are prominent television movies, drama series, and novels that had a very memorable Sebastian in it.
- The Little Mermaid 1989 – The crab called Sebastian
- Blade Runner 1982 – The protagonist was known as J.F. Sebastian.
- The Never-ending story – The boy was called Bastian Balthazar Bux
- William Shakespeare’s play “Twelfth Night” – Sebastian is one of the main characters in the play.
- Dragon Age II (2011) – A drama series where the Prince of Starkhaven was known as Sebastian Vael
- Reign – Sebastian ‘Bash’ de Poitiers, a fictional character in the drama series
- Alien vs. Predator (2004) – Sebastian De Rosa, a fictional character
- Brideshead Revisited – A novel by Evelyn Waugh where the character was Lord Sebastian Flyte
- Naked (1993) – Sebastian Hawks in the Mike Leigh’s movie
- Carrie Diaries – A series where Carrie’s love interest is Sebastian Kydd.
- Revolution (2012-2014) – Bass Monroe, the nickname of Sebastian Monroe, the fictional President.
- Sherlock Holmes – The villain called Colonel Sebastian Moran.
List of Sebastian Nicknames
Nicknames for Sebastian has been divided into three categories. Popular Sebastian nicknames contain the cool and the cute, unusual Sebastian nicknames contain strange nicknames, and female Sebastian nicknames contain the feminine variation of the name.
Popular Sebastian Nicknames
Sebastian has remained in the 100 most popular boys’ names across many countries. In 2006, it was the 5th most popular name in Chile, 59th for boys in New South Wales, Australia, 13th in Norway, 38th in Sweden and 86th in England and Wales in the following year. In 2008, the name Sebastian ranked 98th in the United States. It ranked number 20 in the year 2016 and currently ranks 10th most popular boy name.
Unusual Sebastian Nicknames
This section carries the unusual nicknames for Sebastian. You will find the strange, funny, creative, weird and even maybe offensive nicknames for Sebastian. It is the section that is far from the traditional, common and usual nicknames that you know already. If you like something different, you will find it here.
- Bashtard – Sounds like an illegitimate insinuation
- El Cbas
- Sebacho – This will appeal to the Latino people
- Sebito – This has an Italian flavor to it
- Sebrero – Sounds like the Mexican hat called “Sombrero.”
- Supertian – For your very own “Superman.”
Female Sebastian Nicknames
There is no female version of Sebastian in the real sense. It is considered a boy name; however, it is the trend these days for a female to bear male names. If you are one who is not comfortable with that and are traditional at heart, we have found feminine interpretations of Sebastian in other languages. Below are names and nicknames for your lady.
- Bastiana – Portuguese, Italian, Spanish
- Bastienne – French
- Bastina – French
- Sebastiana – Portuguese, Italian, Spanish
- Sébastienne – French
- Seva – French
- Sevasti – Greek
- Sebastianella – Australian
If you know how to come up with nicknames, you can come up with endless unique Sebastian nicknames. Also, if you know any good nicknames for Sebastian that we didn’t mention, be a dear and drop in the comments box.