Have you been looking for a nickname for someone named Anna?
We understand that finding the right nickname isn’t always easy, which is why in this article, we’ve put together a list of nicknames suitable for someone named Anna as well as helpful descriptions to make your selection process easy!
But first, what is the meaning of the name Anna?
The female name Anna is a Latin form of the Hebrew name ‘Hannah’ and is interpreted to mean “gracious” “full of grace” or “favored.”
The popularity of this name is largely due to Saint Anne, the mother of the virgin Mary. Anna, in 2018, was ranked the 54th most popular girls’ names in the United States.
The name, Anne (the French version of the name Anna) is also widely used amongst Christians around the world today.
Popular Nicknames for Anna
If you’re looking for a unique, cute, cool, or funny nickname for a special lady named Anna, here are some excellent Anna nicknames:
- Annabelle – Inspired by a 2014 American supernatural horror film directed by John R. Leonetti.
- Princess Anna – Inspired by Disney’s fictional character Anna of Arendelle in Frozen.
- Anna of Arendelle – Inspired by Disney’s fictional character Anna of Arendelle in Frozen.
- Manna – A combination of Manna (which is an edible substance with an unexplainable source) and the name Anna.
- Queen Anna – A nickname inspired by the fact that numerous Russian queens/royalties are named Anna.
- Saint Anna – Inspired by Saint Anna, the mother of virgin Mary.
- Mary Ann – A popular nickname for someone named Anna.
- Ana Lee – A sweet nickname inspired by the fictional character in the poem “Annabelle” by Edgar Allan Poe.
- Anaconda – Because it rhymes with Anna.
- Anal – A funny/mean nickname for Anna.
- Anarchy – Because it rhymes with Anna
- Angelina – A combination of Anna and Angel.
- Anilicious – A combination of ‘Anna’ and ‘delicious.’
- Anna Banana – It rhymes with Anna. It could be used as a cute nickname e.g.
- Anna Montana – Inspired by the American teen sitcom, Hannah Montana.
- Anna Rose – A nickname formed by combining “Anna” and the name “Rose.”
- Annychka – Ukrainian variant of the name Anna.
- Assassin – Culled from the 2019 action-thriller film Anna that featured a clever assassin named Anna Poliatova.
- Asya – A Russian variant of the Anna.
- Dolly – From the fictional character in the American horror movie Anabelle, (featuring a possessed doll).
- Ena – The Yiddish diminutive of the name Anna.
- Ona – A Lithuanian variant of the name Anna.
- Panna – The Hebrew variant of the name.
- Ghana – It rhymes with Anna.
Famous People Named Anna
When trying to find a nickname for Anna, a good place to look is at the names and nicknames of notable public figures who bear this name. Here are some famous people named Anna:
- Anna Kendrick ‒ American actress and singer.
- Anna Paquin ‒ New Zealand-Canadian Actress.
- Anna Kournikova ‒ Former Russian professional tennis player and American tv
- Anna Faris ‒ American actress, podcaster, and author.
- Anna Nicole Smith ‒ American actress and television personality.
- Anna Woltz ‒ Dutch writer.
- Anna Camp ‒ American actress and singer.
- Dame Anna Wintour ‒ British-American journalist and editor.
- Anna M. Chlumsky ‒ Professional American actress.
- Anna Katherine Popplewell ‒ English film, television, and theatre actress.
Fictional Characters Named Anna
Fictional personas that bear the name Anna are also a good source of a good nickname. Here are some fictional characters named Anna:
- Anna of Arendelle ‒ Fictional character in Walt Disney’s animation Frozen.
- Anna – From the 2019 French action-thriller film Anna, played by actress Sasha Luss.
- Anna Lightwood – A character in the series The Last Hours, the fourth in the Shadow Hunter chronicles.
- Anna Coleman – From the 2003 American fantasy-comedy film Freaky Friday.
- Anna Milton ‒ A character portrayed by actress Julie McNiven on CW Television Network’s television series Supernatural.
Do you know a really good nickname for Anna that isn’t on our list? Be a darling and share it with us in the comments section below! It could be a name you’ve been called or a nickname you heard somewhere.