According to data obtained from the Social Security Administration (SSA), Charlotte is the seventh most popular girls name in the United States, which means, at some point in your life, you are going to need a nickname for a lady named Charlotte.
As a parent, if you are thinking of naming your daughter Charlotte, it makes sense to check out the popular Charlotte nicknames out there.
In this article, we have listed all the nicknames for Charlotte we could find; both the popular pet names and the occasional ones. Hopefully, you find a cute pet name to call your Charlotte.
Table of Contents
The Story behind the name Charlotte
Charlotte is of a French origin and can be traced back to the 14th century. It is a name that was given to a small, diminutive female. The literal meaning of the name is “petite” or “free man.” The name is the female version of French name “Charlot.” Although you don’t find men bearing Charlot today, however, you will find the derivative “Charles” more common
Many Princesses have borne the name Charlotte since the first Princess that was called Charlotte. History records that King Charles II of England love the name so much that he gave the name to two of his illegitimate daughters. Since then, there are many renowned princesses and Queens that have borne the name “Charlotte.” Below are some notable royalties with the name “Charlotte.”
- Princess Charlotte of Cambridge
- Archduchess Charlotte of Austria
- Charlotte Amalie of Hesse-Cassel (or Hesse-Kassel) – The Queen of Denmark
- Princess Charlotte – Duchess of Valentinois and also Princess of Monaco
- Charlotte Casiraghi – Eighth in line to the Monegasque throne after her mother, Caroline, Princess of Hanover
- Charlotte Stuart – Duchess of Albany
- Charlotte – Grand Duchess of Luxembourg
- Charlotte – Princess Royal, later Queen Charlotte of Württemberg
- Charlotte of Belgium – Empress of Mexico
- Charlotte of Bourbon – Queen of Cyprus (1388-1422)
- Charlotte of Cyprus – The Queen of Jerusalem and Armenia who reigned from 1444-1487.
- Charlotte FitzRoy – The Countess of Yarmouth 1650-1684
- Charlotte Lee – Countess of Lichfield 1664-1718
- Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz – The Infamous “Queen Charlotte” who was the Queen consort of George III during the “American Revolution.”
- Charlotte of Savoy – who was the wife of Louis XI of France 1441-1483
- Princess Charlotte Augusta of Wales – The only legitimate child of George IV of the United Kingdom
Charlotte started becoming even more memorable when there are places named after it. The famous German princess, Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz married George III in 1761 when she became Queen consort. She had these two towns, Charlottesville, Virginia and Charlotte, North Carolina named after her.
Famous People Named Charlotte
If you are one who likes to share a name with prominent people, then here is a list of famous Charlotte’s. They changed their world and are known for positive achievements. Also, you can bet, these famous people were called some of the nicknames listed below.
- Charlotte Bronte – The author of the famous classic novel “Jane Eyre.”
- Charlotte Perkins Gilman – American Feminist and Sociologist who wrote a short story titled The Yellow Wallpaper
- Charlotte Hawkins Brown – An activist and educator who started a school for black students called the “Palmer Memorial Institute” in North Carolina
- Charlotte Mary Mew – An English Poet
- Princess Charlotte Elizabeth Diana – The daughter of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge
- Charlotte York – A fictional character in the popular series “Sex and the City.”
- Charlotte Mason – Philanthropist, 1854-1946.
- Charlotte E. Ray – Women’s rights activist and lawyer, 1850-1911
- Charlotte Forten – Journalist, Educator and Activist – 1837- 1914
- Princess Charlotte of Cambridge – The second child and only daughter of Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge.
Popular Charlotte Nicknames
From Centuries past the name Charlotte has always been popular. It has always fluctuated between the number 50 and 150. In 1982 however, it plummeted to as low as 309. According to the United States Social Security Administration data in 2013, the name ranked number 11 as the most popular girl name. In 2018, the name Charlotte became number 17 in the United Kingdom and Number 1 in Australia.
- Char – You pronounce the “Ch” as “Sh,” so it sounds like Shar.
Other Charlotte Pet Names
The names listed here may have you wondering how they are related to the name Charlotte. You find the puzzling, funny, weird and crazy charlotte nicknames in this category. We know you will find one that will have you nodding your head in agreement.
- Charlottean – Nickname for people from Charlotte, North Carolina, also used as a nickname for somebody named Charlotte.
- Cha Cha
- Charly pants
- Charcoal – If you have a Charlotte with a dark skin complexion
- Halo – picking the capital letters to form a nickname cHArLOtte
- Omelette – It Rhymes beautifully with Charlotte
- Spud – From Charlotte potatoes
- Carlo – Italian
- Carel – Dutch
- Carles – Catalan
- Carlinhos – Portuguese
- Carlito – Spanish
- Carlu – Corsican
- Karcsi – Hungarian
- Kaarle – Finnish
- Karlo – Croatian
- Karolos – Greek
- Karolis – Lithuanian
- Searlas – Irish
- Siarl – Welsh
- Sjarel – Limburgish
Variants of Charlotte and Its Origins
Like other classic names, Charlotte has many diminutives and short forms in different languages. Some are so cute that they will make good nicknames. Here are a few for you to read and know. If anyone catches fancy, be the first to start using it as your nickname.
- Carla – Catalan
- Carolina – Ancient Germanic
- Carolien – Dutch
- Caroline – Danish
- Carlotta – Italian
- Charline – French
- Charlize – Of Afrikaans origin, the name of American actress of South African birth, Charlize Theron.
- Karla – Croatia
- Kaja – Czech
- Karolina – Macedonian
- Karoline – German
- Searlait – Irish
There you go! All the beautiful forms and pet names for Charlotte.
Now, it’s your turn to tell us all the wonderful Charlotte nicknames that aren’t listed above.
2 thoughts on “100 Beautiful Nicknames for Charlotte”
Only if she was born in ’20-’21