Are you looking for a nickname for someone named Eric?
Finding a nickname for a loved one is never as easy as finding a name to call your least favorite cousin.
In this article, we’d be sharing an extensive list of good nicknames for the name Eric, as well as helpful descriptions to help you pick out the right nickname!
But first, what’s the meaning of the name Eric?
Eric is a masculine name derived from the Old Norse name “Eiríkr,” and it is interpreted to mean “Sole ruler,” “Ever ruler,” or “Ever powerful.” (an autocratic name).
The name started to gain popularity in the 19th century, possibly because of the publication of Frederic Farrar’s novel, “Eric, or Little by Little” in 1858. Eric remains a popular name around the world; in the United States, it was one of the popular boy names between 2010-2018.
Some of the widely used variants for the name Eric include Erik (Scandinavian), Jerrik (Danish), Eiríkur (Icelandic), Eerikki (Finnish), Erikas (Lithuanian), Érico (Portuguese), Eirik (Norwegian) and so on.
Table of Contents
Popular Nicknames for Eric
First, let’s start with a list of popular Eric nicknames. Here’s our list of some of the most popular nicknames for Eric:
- Eri – A diminutive closely related to the original name.
- Reek – Reek is from the Game of Thrones series.
- Erich – A popular Greek diminutive interpreted to mean “eternal ruler” or “eternal king.”
- Eryk – A fancy nickname with a Polish origin, suitable as a username/screen-name for someone named Eric.
Other Nicknames for Eric
Would you like to browse through more nicknames for the name Eric? Here’s a list of some other great nicknames for Eric:
- Erico – Eric-Hoe.
- E-rock – For someone named Eric with a well-built and sturdy physique.
- Erleak – A tease nickname for someone named Eric who’s always letting out a stinky fart.
- Airwick – Funny Eric nickname inspired by the fragrance.
- Erip – A nickname for someone named Eric with a ripped body that gets him all the attention.
- Er-Bear – A nickname for a chubby or really sweet person named Eric.
- Rick Ross – Inspired by the famous American Rapper.
- Dick – A common nickname for Richard, sometimes used for Eric because it rhymes.
- Freaky – Rhymes with Ricky.
- Tricky – Rhymes with Ricky.
- Hairy – A nickname suitable for a very hairy-looking person named Eric.
- Tariq – Inspired by the Power TV series character.
- Ruler – From the literal meaning of the name Eric which is interpreted as “Forever Ruler.”
- The Prince – From the Disney animation “The Little Mermaid,” for a charming young man named Eric.
- Stumpy Joe – For someone named Eric who loves instruments, especially drumming. This nickname is inspired by Eric “Stumpy Joe” Childs, the original drummer in the British rock band “spinal tap.”
- Cartman – From a character in the animated tv South Park (Eric Cartman), suitable for an Eric who’s quite narcissistic and manipulative.
- Phantom of The Opera/The Ghost – A nickname inspired by the antagonist character (Erik) in Gaston Leroux’s novel The Phantom of The Opera.
- Angel of Music – An alternative to the nickname above, inspired by the Phantom of Opera novel.
- The Scientist – A nickname inspired by the character Rick Sanchez in the animated TV series, Rick & Morty.
So, there you go – a list of great nicknames for the name Eric!
Famous People Named Eric
When trying to find a nickname a name, another interesting place to look is to consider famous people who answer the same name.
Below are some famous people named Eric:
- Eric Patrick Clapton – English rock & blues guitarist, singer, and songwriter.
- Erik Sven Gunnar Karlsson – Swedish Ice-hockey defenceman & alternate Captain for the San Jose Sharks.
- Eric Demetric Dickerson – Former professional American football player.
- Eric Thomas – Former American football wide-receiver who played in the NFL for 8 seasons.
- Eric Banadinović (also known as Eric Bana) – An Australian actor popularly known for his role in the comedy-drama, The Castle.
- Eric David Gryba – Canadian professional Ice-hockey player.
- Eric Daniel Pierre Cantona – French actor and former professional footballer.
- Eric Dane – American actor popularly known for his roles in Euphoria and Grey’s Anatomy.
- Eric Ambrose Gordon Jr. – American professional basketball player for the Houston Rockets of the NBA.
- Eric Idle – English comedian, actor, author and musician.
Fictional Characters Named Eric
We’ve included a list of some of the most famous fictional characters named Eric! You never know – it might inspire a good nickname!
- Eric Theodore Cartman – The main character in the animated tv series South Park.
- Erik (also known as The Phantom of the Opera or The Phantom) – A character from Gaston Leroux’s novel Le Fantôme de l’Opéra/The Phantom of the Opera.
- Prince Eric – The love interest of Ariel in the Disney animated film The Little Mermaid.
- Eric Northman – A fictional character in The Southern Vampire Mysteries series, written by author Charlaine Harris.
- Eric Draven (also known as The Crow) – A fictional character created by American artist James O’Barr in The Crow comic book series.
If you know of a good nickname for that’s not on this list, kindly share them with us in the comments section below!