How many Richard nicknames do you know? Do you know why Dick is a popular nickname for Richard? You are about to find out!
Richard is a popular name, at least it used to be a popular name. So, you understand how it can get tricky when you say the name “Richard” in a crowded room, and all of them respond to you at the same time.
In as much as it can be funny when you receive the same response from them, it can also be frustrating.
Thankfully, we have nicknames, and we can use them to differentiate as many Richards we come across.
Simple nicknames like “Short Richard, Chubby Richard, Rich Richard, Richard-stache, Whinny Richard, can be very effective but there are also several friendly Richard nicknames.
Table of Contents
The Meaning of The Name Richard and Its Origin
It is always fascinating and exciting to learn the origin of names, so before we the nicknames, let us learn the origin and meaning of the name, Richard.
Although a popular name, Richard is of Germanic Origin. When you break the name down, you get “ric” and “hard.”
The main reason for its popularity in the first place is because it is a strong name and has a solid meaning. “Ric” means power and ruler, “hard” means hearty and brave. Together, they make the name meaning ‘powerful, strong ruler’ or ‘brave power.’
The Normans introduced this name into Britain, just like the name William. It ended up being the name of three rulers, King Richard I, II, and III of England. It is not a coincidence that three people named Richard became rulers even though the second and the third were passed the name. It sounds terrific to have the name of a leader and that of royalty.
Why Is Dick A Nickname For Richard?
Everything was handwritten in the 12th and 13th century, in order to save on time, names were written in their short versions. Therefore, Richard was shortened to Rich, Rick, or Ric. Rhyming names were also common at the time, Richard became Dick or Hick.
Hick did not stay for a long time, but something was appealing about the nickname Dick, obviously. Dick became a common nickname for Richard everywhere and was also used to refer to every average man just like Jack later on.
Shakespeare’s Henry IV, part I give early evidence to this nickname, ‘I am sworn brother to a leash of Drawers, and can call them by their names as, Tom, Dick, and Francis.’
The origin of the phrase every/any Tom, Dick, and Harry can be linked to the above line. Dick is not a common nickname nowadays because of its cheekier meanings. In the 1890s, the use of the name dick to mean penis was first recorded and was used by the British Army. It’s possible; it had been used in a speech before then.
The nickname was still popular into the 1950s, but towards the end of the 20th century, the name began to loosen up, and dick became a slang term.
This is a common thing with popular names; they tend to fade away with time. Just like there wasn’t Khaleesi or Kylo 10 years ago.
In Dick’s case, its simple because being called a Dick in this age means something else.
List of Popular Nicknames For Richard
There are different nicknames associated with the name Richard, and if you are named Richard, chances are you are/have been called any of the following nicknames at some point in your life.
- Rick – Rick originates from the Norse language, which is an ancient medieval Norwegian language. In this context, Rick means eternal ruler and island ruler. The name can be referred back to 10th Century explorer Rick the Red.
- Richie – Richie has a German origin and directly translates as ‘hard ruler.’
- Dickey – Dickey is an Anglo-Scottish name that also derives its roots from the Norman invasion of 1066. An early example of the name was David Dickey, who was the burgess of Montrose in 1627.
- Rico – Rico is a nickname of Richard that takes an Italian origin. Early Rico’s were found in Venice, Tuscany, Bologna, and Lombardy. Further interest is that Rico is a term linked to the curliness of hair.
- Riccardo – Riccardo originates from the Italian island of Sicily. The Normans also conquered Sicily in 1057, which led to great Sicily becoming one of Europe’s strongest powers. At this time many names got recorded for the first time, and Riccardo became an Italian alternative to Richard.
- Rikhard – The name Rikhard originates from a family who immigrated to England after the Norman conquest of 1066. Early versions of the name were discovered in Yorkshire, with the family being Lord and Lady of the Hatfield Manor.
- Riku – Riku is a Japanese alternative to the name of Richard. The translated meaning of Riku is ‘land and continent’ in Japanese.
- Rocky – Rocky is also a name with Italian roots, which directly translates as ‘rest. The name was popularised by Sylvester Stallone’s famous film character Rocky Balboa.
- Ryker – Although the name may originate from the German word ‘rike’ meaning rich, Ryker has most likely been popularised in the US particularly since the turn of the millennium. Since 2003, the name has risen by 700 up the naming charts in the US.
Who better to tell us the best nicknames for Richard, than a guy named Richard.
To all the Richards out there, kindly share all the beautiful and not-so-beautiful nicknames you have answered over the years.
Also, if you know any awesome nickname for Richard that is not mentioned, share it with us in the comment section.
9 thoughts on “30+ Popular Nicknames for Richard”
As a fellow Richard I’ve been dubbed lil dick because I was named after my great grandfather but now the ladies call me BIGGIE
How about “REX”???
What about Rockhard Dick? Good flattering one? Like Ricardo.
As a Richard, I saw Riks and shortened it to Rix. I like it.
as a fellow richard i made the name dixon cuz yea
I have Richard as my middle name so just one nickname that is not added is Wicky i got that from my mom. So share it like this Ricky,Dicky,Wicky,.
Where is Ricky?!?!?!?!?! huh?! How can you people call yourselves professionals when you can’t even put the name Ricky on there!?! Please contact me so we can fight about the significance of RICKYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Amy RICKYYYY (CEO-RickyRacoon)
We are sorry Amy, we have included Ricky. No fights, please, be nice.