A name like Penelope is classic and timeless, but it can be a mouthful.
In this article, we have listed all the good nicknames for Penelope we know, so if you don’t feel like calling her Penelope, you will find acceptable alternatives.
However, before we list all the other names you can call someone named Penelope, let’s examine the origin of the name, Penelope.
Penelope pronounced Pe-nel-a-pee has its origins in Greek mythology. In the Odyssey, Penelope was the wife of Odysseus, who faithfully waited for his return for 20 years. Penelope means “weaver” in Greek, and the name Penelope symbolizes commitment, loyalty, and wisdom.
While Odysseus was away, one of the tricks Penelope employed in tricking her unyielding suitors was to pretend to be weaving a burial shroud for Odysseus’s elderly father, Laertes, claiming that she will choose a suitor when she has finished. She weaved all day, and at night, she undid it, only to start again in the morning.
Table of Contents
List of Nicknames for Penelope
Now, we get to the nicknames for Penelope; cute nicknames, short nicknames, popular nicknames for Penelope and any names for Penelope you know:
Short Penelope Nicknames
So, what are the popular Penelope nicknames?
- PJ – This is using the initials of the first name and middle name. For example, Penelope Jane.
Cute Penelope Nicknames
If you need cute nicknames for someone named Penelope, here are some cute Penelope nicknames:
- Penny – More popular because of the Big Bang Theory character.
- Lupe – From the Tv show, One day at a time.
- Lupita – From the Tv show, One day at a time.
- Poppy – Similar to the poppy flower.
- Pixie – Unexpected but cute.
- Poops – I guess the “s” added makes it sound better.
- Sweet P
- Henny Penny
- Peeny ah lope
- Nell Bell
- Nellie Bellie
- Pepsi – Another food inspired nickname.
- Sweet Pea
- Peanut – Penelope becomes P, P becomes Pea, Pea becomes Peanut.
Penelope Variations and similar names
Here are some international variations of the name, Penelope. These are also great nicknames for Penelope:
- Penelopa – Spanish
- Pinelopi – Greek
- Pelcia – Polish
- Pepelope – French
- Peniel – Hebrew and a masculine form
Famous People Named Penelope
- Penelope Cruz – Spanish actress
- Penny Jamieson – Female Bishop of Dunedin in the Anglican Church of New Zealand from 1989 to 2004
- Penelope “Penny” Oleksiak – Canadian swimmer
- Penelope Disick – Kourtney Kardashian and Scotts Disick, daughter
- Penelope Houston – American singer-songwriter
- Penelope “Penny” Heyns – South African Olympic swimmer
- Penelope – Harry Porter’s friend is also a famous fictitious character
If you know any excellent Penelope nickname, be a dear and add it in the comment sections.