In this article, we share with you short, cute and cool nicknames for Margaret. Furthermore, we will explain the reason why Peggy is a nickname for Margaret. Also, we highlight some famous Margaret and the nickname they bear.
But first, what is the origin of the name, Margaret?
Margaret is of Greek origin and is derived from the name “Maragon” which means “Pearl.” Margaret is a female name, and it is pronounced Mahr-grit.
Table of Contents
Why is Peggy a nickname for Margaret
All nicknames experience some form of evolution during use.
So how did Margaret become Peggy?
First, Margaret became Marg, a shortened form of Margaret. Since most people pronounce Marg as Mag, Mag soon became the short form of Margaret.
You’d have to admit that Mag doesn’t roll off the tongue, so unsurprisingly, we soon found Magge, Magota, Megge, Megota, and other variations of the pet name.
Soon enough, Meg became the more popular short form of Margaret. The transition of Meg to Peg is more likely as a result of the Meg rhyming with a popular word such as Peg.
As earlier said, Mag doesn’t roll off the tongue like Maggie or other variations of Mag, so if Maggie is preferred over Mag, it’s no surprise that Peggie is preferred over Peg and that explains how Peggy became a nickname for Margaret.
If you think we are making this up, wait till you hear how French Fry became a nickname for Ryan. So, Ryan becomes Ry, Ry becomes Fry (Because it Rhymes), and from there, it is easy to see how Fry became French Fry.
The following are names you can call a lady named Margaret:
Popular Nicknames for Margaret
The following are short nicknames for a lady named Margaret:
- Emi – From the initial M
- Rita – Margarita
Cute Nicknames for Margaret
Many of the nicknames here will make you go “aww.” Here are some cute pet names for Margaret:
- Pearl – The meaning of Margaret
- Minnie – If she likes Mickey Mouse, it is a double win.
- Daisy – Inspired by Marguerite-French translation of Margaret, which means daisy
Cool Nicknames for Margaret
Here are some cool Margaret nicknames:
- Iron Lady – Margaret Thatcher’s nickname.
- Garrett – Sounds Masculine, but it’s cool
- Madge – Reminds you of “The Simpsons.”
Famous People Named Margaret
If you are named Margaret, and anyone calls you “Margaret the Virgin,” “Iron Lady,” or Arya,” it is because of one of these famous Margarets:
- Saint Marina the Great Martyr – Margaret the Virgin
- Saint Margaret of Scotland – Also known as Margaret of Wessex. She was an English princess and a Scottish queen. Margaret was sometimes called “The Pearl of Scotland.”
- Lady Margaret Beaufort – Mother of King Henry VII and paternal grandmother of King Henry VIII of England.
- Margaret Tudor – Queen of Scots from 1503 until 1513
- Margaret Thatcher – Popularly known as the “Iron Lady.” She was the British prime minister who led the U.K.’s conservative party from 1975 to 1990.
- Margaret Cho – American comedian
- Margaret Atwood – Canadian poet
- Margaret Gorman – The first Miss America in the year 1921
- Princess Margaret – Countess of Snowdon
- Margaret Court – Australian tennis player
- Margaret Constance “Maisie” Williams – English actress, better known as Arya Stark.
- Margaret D. H. Keane – An American painter
- Margaret Truman Daniel – American singer and author, daughter of U.S. President Harry Truman
- Margaret Laura “Mila” Hager (b. 2013) – daughter of Jenna Bush Hager
- Margaret Hamilton – Movie Actor. Most famous for her role in The Wizard of Oz, she played the Wicked Witch of the West! She also had a part in the movie 13 Ghosts in 1960.
- Margaret Qualley – American actress and dancer.
Did we miss any good Margaret nickname? Be a dear and add it in the comment section. Also, remember to share the meaning of the story behind the name.
4 thoughts on “80+ Cute and Popular Nicknames for Margaret”
You could go by Maddie, my friend does
I was born Margaret Mary being of. German descent my nickname was Gretchen. I was named after my grandma,Margaret whose nickname was Greta