If you’re looking to find useful nicknames for the name Sydney, here is an extensive list of the best nicknames for someone named Sydney.
Sydney is a unisex name of French origin, derived from “Saint Denis.” In the Normand dialect, the pronunciation of Saint Denis was “S’Deni,” which could explain the origin of the name, “Sydney.”
Another theory suggests that Sydney is derived from the Old English elements ‘sīd’, (which means extensive, wide) and ‘ieg’ (which means island in a river, riverside meadow). Therefore, the name Sydney refers to someone from the wide island.
Table of Contents
Popular Nicknames for Sydney
Popular nicknames are mostly short forms or modifications of a name. Here are some of the most popular nicknames for Sydney:
- Syd the Kyd/Syd Tha Kyd: Inspired by the stage name of Syd Tha Kid, the American singer and the founding member of the band The Internet.
- Si-Si: From the first syllable of Sydney
Cute Nicknames for Sydney
If you’re looking for an affectionate nickname, then a cute nickname is precisely what you need. Here are some cute names for someone named Sydney:
- Sweet Syd
- Sydnei Bug
- Sydnei baby
- Emerald: From the nickname of the city, Sydney, Australia.
Funny Nicknames for Sydney
If you’re looking for an exciting or memorable nickname, a funny one would be a smart choice. Here are some funny names for Sydney:
- Kidney: It rhymes with the name Sydney.
- Squidney: A wordplay on kidney and Squid.
- Sydward: A nickname that sounds like Squidward.
- Sydney Bean
- Sydney Stone: A wordplay on Kidney stone.
- Sidly Widly
- Syd Da Squid
- Syderella: Formed by combining the name Sydney and Cinderella.
Cool Nicknames for Sydney
Cool nicknames for the name Sydney can be formed by adding suffixes or cool clauses to the name. Here are some cool Sydney nicknames:
- Don Sydney
- Sydelle: Syd +elle
- Sydski: Syd + ski
- Sydibell: Syd + bell
- Sensei Sid: A combination of the word Sensei (which means teacher) and the name Sid.
- Aussie: A reference to the country of Australia; Sydney is one of its biggest cities.
Sydney Nicknames from TV or Books
Fictional characters can be a source of nicknames.
- Squidward Tentacles: A fictional character voiced by actor Rodger Bumpass in the American animated television series SpongeBob SquarePants.
- Sydney Drew (also known as Syd or Pink Ranger): A character on Tv’s Power Rangers S.P.D.
- Sydney Barrett (also known as Syd or The Mutant): A fictional character in the Tv series Legion, who was a mutant with the power to temporarily switch bodies.
- Sydney Sage (also known as The Witch, Sage or Sage-Ivashkov): A character in Richelle Mead’s Vampire Academy series and Bloodlines series
Famous People Named Sydney
Public figures who bear the name Sydney can be a good source of inspiration for nicknames:
- Sydney Hughes Greenstreet (also known as The Fat Man): A British-American actor.
- Sydney Park (also known as Cyndie): An American actress and comedian.
- Sydney Loren Bennett (also known as Syd the Kyd): A singer/producer from California.
Variants of Sydney
Variants of the name Sydney from other languages can also be suitable nicknames.
- Sidonio: A Spanish variant of the name Sydney.
- Shidonii: A Japanese variant of the name Sydney.
- Sidonia: A Dutch variant of the name Sydney.
- Sidaine: A French variant of the name Sydney.
- Denis/Denise/Denice/Denys/Dennis: From Saint Denis.
- Deon/Deonne: A variant of Denis.
- Deonte: A variant of Denis.
- Dion: A variant of Denis.
Would you be so generous to share any Sydney nickname we missed in the comments section?
12 thoughts on “40+ Creative Nicknames for Sydney”
syd the science kid, syn/synee (my baby brother), shitney, shitnay, and syd the kid. Squid is such a cute nickname though
Hey, my name is Sydney and people call me Sardine, Baby bean, and Kydney. Hope this helped. <3
I love L <3
a bunch of people call me sydney the science kydney and kydney stones.
Myn is Sydney they call me cassidy ,sysyndier and I like sysyndier
Myn is Sydney they call me cassidyor sysyndier and I like sysyndier
hey, im syd and i would reccomend the name sydshit
My name is sydnee with two EE’S at the end I get bullied all the time for my size and my personality they call me SAA bc my last name starts with an A and my middle name is Andrea, I’m obsessed with a guy named Shawn Caleb Bailey that’s in 8th grade going to high school now he dates my EX bestie Peyton who I still love dearly❤️. We stoped being friends bc she called me STD as a nickname and now I don’t wanna be friends also I told her I was In love but we won’t talk abt it. I’m sorry I’m postin this I just, I don’t have any friends the one friend I have is gay well lesbian. Anyways love u all 💖4/18/2022
stay strong STD xx
1.Shitney 2.Opera’s House (but she wasn’t home) 3. ‘Sidenee’ (Smamaranch called it pre Olympics) 4. Sinee (v common elsewhere)
my name is syd why are you like this
mine name is sydney to and people always call me syd the sloth or syd syd or syd i dont like eathier of thise names but i get thriugh it im a freshamn in hugh school and people like to makes fun of me all the time when i claerly dont like thise names but ill get through it