In this article, we have compiled a list of some creative nicknames for Owen to help you select the perfect nickname.
Table of Contents
Meaning and Origin of Owen
Owen is a popular first name for boys of Welsh origins, meaning ‘young warrior, well-born.’ It is the anglicized variant of the Welsh name ‘Owain’ and the Celtic name ‘Eoghan.’ Owen is believed to be derived from the Latin name ‘Eugnis,’ meaning ‘noble.’
Owen is both a first name and a surname (Owain) in many English speaking and Irish countries. Early records of the name Owen presents it as an illustrious surname borne by several royal families.
Owen remains a popular first name for boys in the world today. It was ranked among the most popular names for boys in the last decade in the United States.
Popular Nicknames for Owen
Most popular nicknames for single-syllable names are gotten from the letters of the name itself. These are some popular nicknames for Owen:
- Owen The Saints
- Owenator: A cool nickname for Owen, inspired by the Terminator movie.
- Bro-wen: Bro a slang used to refer to a friend and Wen for Owen, it could be used to refer to a friend named Owen.
- Big-O: This nickname for Owen could be used ironically to refer to a slim person.
- Old Winnie
- Oren: An Hebrew name meaning ‘pine’ which rhymes with Owen.
Owen Nicknames from T.V. or Books
The names of fictional characters named Owen could be used as Owen nicknames. Here are some famous fictional characters named Owen:
- Owen Lars: He is a fictional character who was Luke Skywalker’s uncle and raised him in the ‘Star Wars’ franchise played by Abraham Benrubi. He is nicknamed ‘Uncle Owen.’
- Owen Hunt: He is a fictional character in the medical drama T.V. series ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ played by Kevin McKidd. His character is nicknamed ‘G. I Joe’ by some fans.
- Owen Elliot: He is one of the main characters in the movie ‘Nikita’ played by Devon Sawa.
Famous People Named Owen
Similarly, the names and nicknames of famous people named Owen is a great source of great nicknames. Here are some famous people named Owen:
- Owen Wilson: He is an American Award and BAFTA Award-winning actor who has featured in popular movies including ‘Anaconda,’ ‘Meet the Parents,’ and ‘Night at the Museum.’ He is nicknamed ‘The Butterscotch Stallion.’
- Owen Roe: He is an Irish actor who has featured in several movies, including ‘Intermission,’ ‘The Ambassador’ and T.V. series such as ‘Vikings.’ He is nicknamed ‘Count Odo’ after his role in Vikings.
- Owen Benjamin: He is an American actor known for his roles in movies such as ‘All’s Faire in Love,’ ‘Jack and Jill,’ and ‘Staten Island Summer.’
- Owen Hargreaves: Retired footballer; He played for FC Bayern Munich and Manchester United as a defensive midfielder.
Variants of Owen
For those who prefer nicknames very similar to that of the original, variants of the said name are exactly what you need. These are some variants of Owen that could also double as nicknames for Owen:
- Eoin: An Irish variant for Owen.
- Ewain: A Scottish variant for Owen.
- Ouen: A French variant for Owen.
- Owin: A sound-alike variant for Owen.
If you know any other creative nickname for Owen that we didn’t mention, be sure to share them in the comments section.