Do you need a good nickname for a lady named Sarah or Sally? In this article, you will find a lot of wonderful Sarah nicknames. But first, what is the origin of the name, Sarah and why is Sally a nickname for Sarah?
Sarah is a name of Hebrew origin. The name has strong religious connections in Christianity, Islam, and Judaism. The Old Testament Matriarch, Abraham’s wife, was called Sarah.
Sarah has several meanings; Its Arabic, Hebrew, and Persian meaning is “woman of high rank, which is best translated as “Princess.” In Modern Hebrew, Sarah means “woman minister,” and in Islam, Sarah means “Purity.”
Table of Contents
Famous People Named Sarah
Here are some famous people named Sarah:
- Sarah Louise Palin – American Politician.
- Sarah Jessica Parker – Actress famous for her role in the movie “Sex and the city.”
- Sarah Lois Vaughan – American Jazz legend
- Sarah Michelle Gellar – American actress who starred in Buffy the vampire slayer and Cruel Intention
- Sarah Hyland – Actress in TV series “Modern Family.”
- Sarah Silverman – Comedian and actress
Why is Sally from Sarah?
Sally is a common diminutive for Sarah. No one knows exactly how Sally came from Sarah but its unusual for English names to have pet names that aren’t exactly straightforward to decipher. For example, Molly is a nickname for Mary, Bob is a nickname for Robert, and Bill is a nickname for William.
Today, it isn’t uncommon to find Sally as a standalone name.
List of Sarah Nicknames
Sarah nicknames are classified in popular, unusual and language interpretation sections in this article.
Popular Sarah Nicknames
The following are popular Sarah pet names:
- Que Sarah Sarah – From the saying, Que sera sera, which means “whatever will be, will be”
- Rah rah
- Sadie – originally a diminutive of Sarah
- Sam Sam
- Sarah bear
- Sarah Connor – A funny nickname for Sarah, especially among the Geek crowd. Sarah Connor is a popular fictional character in the Terminator.
- Sarah munchkin
- Susie Q
Unusual Sarah Nicknames
Here are some out-of-the-box nicknames for Sarah. Unusual nicknames can be formed as you like. There are no rules behind the creation of nicknames in this section. Pick any you like or be inspired to make an unusual Sarah nickname just for you.
- Itsy litsy sitsy
- Sara ray
- Sarah Beara Boo
- Sareair – Pronounced similar to “derriere” which means a person’s behind
- Sa Shou
Sarah language variations
Sarah in many other languages is known as “Sara.” This is still the most popular variation of the name Sarah. Highlighted are the variations of Sarah in other languages around the world. These variations can be used alternatively as nicknames.
- Capa – Bulgarian
- Cara – Tamil
- Hara – Maori
- Kala – Hawaiian
- Saara – Finnish
- Sala – Korean
- Salcia – Polish
- Sarea – Khmer
- Sara – Dutch, Danish, Bosnian, Latin, German, Creole and many others.
- Sarai – Malayalam
- Saraa – Balochi
- Sarra – Biblical Greek
- Saraha – Gujarati
- Sarka – Russian
- Shala – Chinese
- Sirke – Yiddish
Sarah nicknames are as beautiful as the name itself. Don’t be afraid to come up with your own unique pet names for Sarah, and when you do, remember to share them in the comments section below.